http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/natural-disasters/tornado-profile.html
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Tornados
I read and watched a couple of video clips about tornados. Tornados interest me because they are one of the main natural disasters that we experience in Minnesota. I learned that tornados can spin up to 300 mph and can cause damage a mile wide and 50 miles long. I learned that tornados cause about 80 deaths and 1,500 injuries a year in the United States. Watching the videos, tornados look so unreal, like something you would see in a movie. I wish I could just sit and watch them but they are very unsafe. Storm chasers study tornados by setting up cameras right were they think the tornado will go. Tornados start in the spring when warm humid air collides with cool dry air. This forms super cells which is where tornados come from. That is just about all scientists know however. They cannot explain why all tornados come in different magnitudes and shapes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment