My favorite quote from the book so far is when Codi walks though Grace for the first time. Codi yells, “‘Stop it!’ I yelled. My heart was thumping. ‘You’re killing that bird!’” (15). I don’t usually get embarrassed. I can’t even begin to imagine how horrified I would have been if I was Codi. It is not only embarrassing that she mistook a piñata for a peacock, but it’s the fact she was screaming at the little kids who were having a birthday party! With Codi’s self-confidence and knowledge of how fast news spreads around in a small town, I am surprised she didn’t leave right then and there. It is not funny when you yourself are embarrassed, but I can’t stop thinking about how funny it would have been watching this scene unfold in real life.
My favorite character in the book is not a main character at all. He is one of the five Domingos children. Nicholas, most commonly known as ‘The Baby’ is my favorite character for a couple of reasons. First of all, it is hard not to like a baby. Second of all, I can relate to him because in my family I am know as ‘The Baby’ just like Nicholas because I was born late compared to all of my cousins. Lastly, I love how he can be such a minor character but still can symbolize such an important theme. I think that when he learns to walk during Hallie’s kidnapping, it symbolizes life and how it is a never ending circle. You have Hallie which you can just assume right now is going to die and Nicholas is just beginning his life by taking his first steps.
I think the most important scene of the book so far is when Emelina has the Labor Day Fiesta. I think this is important because Codi meets a lot of people that she knew when she was a child. I feel Kingsolver puts this scene in the book because the fiesta is almost a mini-welcome home party for Codi. This is also where Codi has her first conversation with Loyd. Without this scene, Codi and Loyd don’t talk and become attracted to each other again. Without the introduction of Loyd, Codi doesn’t find a good reason to stay in Grace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
creative favorite character- im the baby of the family too! hah good job
Johnny--I love what you have to say about your favorite character. Often, babies in literature don't mean a whole lot, but I like how you picked up the symbolism about the baby walking at an important time in the book.
Post a Comment